Costa Rica Dental Implants by Dr. Eugenio Brenes
What is a dental implant and which are the steps you have to fulfill in order to get this procedure?
A dental implant is a procedure in which one or more lost teeth are to be replaced, regardless of how they were lost.
Our dental implants in Costa Rica consists of two phases:
- The first one is surgical, in which the implant is placed in the mouth.
- A second phase, in which the implant is put to work by a restoration, whether it is a crown or a bridge.
On the surgical part the most important factor is the existence of bone in a sufficient amount to accommodate the implant that you want to place. To evaluate if there is enough bone a clinical exam must be taken with a 3D x-ray exam.
On the clinical test, we evaluate that the patient doesn’t have untreated systemic diseases, suppressed immune system or that he or she is a smoker. If these factors are under control there is no counter indication for the treatment; if they are not, the patient who wants to be a candidate for an implant must get medical control and treat his or her diseases; and if he or she is a smoker he or she must stop this habit for at least 3 months prior to the installation of the implants and for 9 months after the procedure.
For the 3D x-ray exam there is a test specifically designed for the placement of implants; its purpose is so that the surgery can be realized virtually on a computer. This test gives us information about the thickness of the bone, the height, the nerves and arteries on the area where the procedure will be done, so that we can clarify any doubts, resulting in a safer procedure, more predictable and successful. If there is not enough bone, the necessary previsions are taken, such as generating more bone by lifting the maxillary sinus, bone grafts, or some other regenerative techniques.
Time to start smiling again with our Costa Rica dental implants – Contact Us Here –
With this information we proceed to put the implant. This procedure takes from 1 to 2 hours, and it is done under local anesthesia. Patients have been questioned about which procedure is more uncomfortable between implant placement and exodontias. 9% of them refer it is more annoying to have a tooth removed than to have an implant.
Cares to Consider After the Implant is in Place
Amongst the cares you have to take once the implant is in place, we can quote: abstaining from making hard impact exercises for at least 4 days, not eating hot meals for 2 days after the procedure, and following the extra indications about medicaments and the extra indications based on the individual needs of the patient. The healing process is going to take 6 months. During this time the implant must adapt to the bone that surrounds it. From 90% to 95% of the implants that are placed can be used without any trouble. If for any reason the implant does not work, replacing it will be considered.
4 Appointments are Necessary to Finish the Procedure
Once the implant is ready to be used, four appointments are necessary in order to finish the procedure. For this part what matters most is that the implant has been placed correctly from the beginning, on a position from which it can be used without any problem, since there have been times in which, due to poor alignment, the necessary requirements are not fulfilled for the implant to be used.
- On the first appointment the dental implant is revealed, the tissue or gum that lies over the implant is removed, and a healing button is placed.
- On the second appointment the final impression is taken. This impression will give us the necessary information to create the personalized dental crown.
- On the third appointment the restorations that will cover the implant are tested to see their color, shape and adjustment.
- On the fourth appointment we proceed to definitely cement the restoration on the implant.
What kind of restoration can be achieved with our dental implants in Costa Rica?
With our dental implants you can achieve a great variety of restorations:
- For example, if you are missing a tooth, it would be ideal to place a dental implant and on top of it a crown to restore the space.
- If you are missing three teeth on the side, you can get from 2 to 3 dental implants and on top of them you can get a bridge, in order to solve the problem.
- If there is an inferior prosthesis or a set of teeth that has no attachment and is bothering you, you can get two implants and a set of teeth attached to these two implants to stop those annoying movements.
- There are cases in which a person does not have any teeth at all and does not want to get a movable set of teeth. On such cases the dentist would think of placing from 5 to 8 implants and on designing a set of teeth to be fixed on those implants.
As you can see, most situations when a tooth is missing can be solved with dental implants. So if you identify yourself with any of the above mentioned cases, it is worth considering getting one or more of our dental implants in Costa Rica and start smiling again!
Are all Dental Implants in Costa Rica the Same?
As it happens with all things, there are different qualities of the same product. At Advance Dental Costa Rica we use high quality implants of the following brands: Zimmer Dental, Implant Direct and 3i Biomet. These manufacturers guarantee us their products and the facilities in which they are manufactured fulfilled high standards of sterilization and production, avoiding us infection problems, loss of the implants and complications after the placement of the implants.
What is the cost of dental implants in Costa Rica compared to the United States?
The cost of a dental implant with abutment and standard crown in the United Sates costs an average of $4,500, and in Costa Rica it starts from an average of $1,300. The final cost of a dental implant varies depending on the quality of the materials used, oral health, type of anesthesia and other treatments performed in conjunction, such as bone graft if required by the patient.
For patients traveling from abroad, one of the most appealing features of getting dental implants done at our office in San Jose, Costa Rica is the fact that their cost is going to be about 50% less than what the same dental implant would cost in the United States. The final investment done by our patients here is not as much as one might expect due to the fact that our costs here are lower, therefore our prices are lower and our patients end up having done the same procedure they would get in the US, with FDA approved materials. This all translates into more affordable dental implants and the same high quality dental work done at our Clinic. In a nutshell, dental implants in Costa Rica are much more cheaper than in the USA and with a top notch quality.
About Dr. Eugenio Brenes (Director and Prosthodontist at Advance Dental Costa Rica)
Dr. Eugenio J. Brenes at Advance Dental Costa Rica has his specialty from Loma Linda University, where for four years he learned the correct way of planning and patient assessment to be used with candidates for implants, and the proper way to install these implants in order to get successful and predictable results on such procedures. This education, added to the backup of a team that puts you as the priority, makes Advance Dental Costa Rica the ideal place for you to get your dental implant treatment done. Please contact us for more information on our dental implants in Costa Rica.
Important points to consider if you are thinking on getting an implant at our clinic:
- Our head director, Dr. Eugenio Brenes is a USA certified dentist with a vast experience in all major dental procedures. Dr. Brenes specializes in all dentistry specialties.
- At our dental clinic we only use high quality implants of the best brands: 3i Biomet, Implant Direct and Zimmer Dental. The implants are manufactured under very high standards of sterilization, avoiding complications after the implants are placed.
- Prior to the colocation of the implant, a clinical exam must be taken with a 3D x-ray exam. The dentist must make sure there is enough bone for placing the implant, this exam also gives the doctor other vital information that will guarantee a more predictable and successful dental procedure.
- After the implant is placed, four appointments are necessary to finish the procedure. In order for the implant to be used, it is critical that the dentist is 100% sure that the implant has been placed correctly from the beginning, on a perfectly aligned position from which it can be used without any problem.
- On appointment number one, the dental implant is revealed and a healing button is placed.
- On appointment number two, in order to create a personalized dental crown we proceed to take a final impression.
- On appointment number three, we make sure the restoration(s) that will be placed on the implant(s) matches the correct color, shape and adjustment.
- On appointment number four, the doctor proceeds to cement the restoration on the implant in a permanent way.
So what are you waiting for, come to our beautiful Costa Rica and get your high quality dental implants at an affordable price!